Truck Accident Attorneys
The experienced trial attorneys of The Kherkher Law Firm PLLC provide aggressive, skilled, and compassionate legal representation for individuals who are hurt in collisions involving commercial vehicles. We’ve seen firsthand the devastation that these accidents can cause, and we firmly believe that victims should not be forced to deal with the catastrophic injuries, skyrocketing medical expenses, costly property repairs and replacement, and other struggles that often result from an unexpected accident like this.
Because commercial truck crashes can be costly to investigate and pursue, it is crucial to hire a law firm with the right experience and resources to properly handle your case. The lawyers of The Kherkher Law Firm PLLC are ready to stand up for you and make sure that every potentially liable party is identified and held accountable for the harm you’ve suffered. Don’t stress about how you’ll pay your medical bills and recover lost wages, and don’t pay out of pocket for the mistakes made by a truck driver or the company that hired them. Instead, reach out to The Kherkher Law Firm PLLC for help.
Our trucking accident attorneys are available 24/7, and our consultations are always free. Call 713-244-6363 or contact us online to schedule your confidential consultation and find out how we can help you get the justice and compensation you’re owed.
Do I Need A Truck Accident Lawyer?
People who have been harmed in truck accidents caused by another party’s negligence or recklessness sometimes feel that they’re alone. They may be pressured by insurance company representatives or representatives of the trucking company and may feel as if the only recourse is to accept a quick settlement offer, even if the amount seems too small to cover the costs of the crash.
Don’t let the insurance company bully you into accepting a settlement that is less than what it’s worth, and don’t let them trick you into thinking you were responsible for the crash. Instead, exercise your right to hire an experienced truck accident attorney and instantly level the playing field. The experienced attorneys of The Kherkher Law Firm PLLC know the tricks the insurance companies will pull on unsuspecting accident victims, and we won’t let them save money at the expense o your health, your livelihood, and your family.
An experienced truck accident lawyer will investigate the crash, determine which parties are liable, and will seek the full compensation you’re owed. You won’t have to deal with insurance adjusters any longer, and you can focus on recovering from your injuries and getting back on your feet while your lawyer does the legwork on your claim. You’ll rest easier knowing that you have someone on your side who is looking out for your best interests, not the profits of a huge corporation. Your attorney will work to recover the maximum compensation possible so that you can pay your bills and try to rebuild your life after the crash.
Types of Truck Accident Cases We Handle
No two commercial truck accidents are the same. Innocent motorists can be injured in a wide variety of crashes, with some of the most common including the following:
- Violations of traffic laws — One of the most common causes of truck accidents is speeding, performing an illegal turn, or committing some other traffic infraction.
- Improperly loaded or secured cargo — Some truck accidents can stem from a truck’s cargo not being adequately secured.
- Driver error — Truck drivers frequently work long hours and can be more susceptible to distractions that have significant consequences.
- Improper backing — Backing into or out of specific spaces can be very difficult for truck drivers, and some accidents are the result of poor decisions or lack of adequate training.
- Unsafe road conditions — A governmental entity, in addition to or instead of a trucking company, could be liable for failure to maintain a roadway in a safe condition.
- Inclement weather — While inclement weather such as rain or snow can affect every driver on the road, truck drivers are particularly obliged to slow down in such conditions. Failure to operate safely in inclement weather can make a truck driver liable for an accident.
- Driver fatigue — The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) limits the number of hours a truck driver can work in a day and week. Each duty period must begin with at least 10 hours off-duty, drivers cannot work more than 60 hours on-duty over seven consecutive days, drivers are limited to 11 hours of driving time, and drivers must take a mandatory 30-minute break by their eighth hour of coming on duty. Our team will verify whether the trucker who caused the accident complied with the strict federal and state regulations governing over-the-road-safety practices.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) — All drivers are prohibited from operating while impaired by drugs or alcohol. The legal alcohol limit for commercial truck drivers is only 0.04, which is half the legal limit of 0.08 that applies to most other adult drivers. If the police charged the driver who caused the accident with DUI, this vital evidence becomes part of the public record and could be used to establish liability.
- Defective parts — Commercial trucks are huge and sophisticated pieces of machinery. As such, some accidents can grow out of a single part of the truck failing or being defective. Trucking companies can also be liable for improper repairs or failure to maintain their vehicles.
Commercial truck accidents have the potential to cause significant, compensable injuries. Some of the harm people can suffer from these crashes include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Muscle strains
- Neck injuries
- Internal organ injuries
It is also very possible for someone to die because of their injuries following a truck accident. In such cases, the deceased person’s family can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent party or parties.
Frequently Asked Questions about 18-Wheeler Accidents
Another valuable step you can take is to photograph the scene of your accident (or have a friend or family member do it for you if you’ve been hospitalized), from the vehicles to other notable elements like skid marks. Also, look for any witnesses who saw the crash and obtain their names and phone.
Truck Accident Statistics
Unfortunately, truck accidents are trending upward, making these types of collisions and related injuries more likely.
According to Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts 2017 from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), 4,889 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes in 2017. This was a nine-percent increase from 2016.
After the number of injury crashes involving large trucks or buses decreased 41 percent from 102,000 in 2002 to 60,000 in 2009, injury crashes increased 62 percent from 2009 to 97,000 in 2015. From 2016 to 2017, large truck and bus injury crashes increased four percent from 112,000 in 2016 to 116,000 in 2017.
From 2016 to 2017, the number of large trucks involved in fatal crashes increased 10 percent from 4,251 to 4,657, the large truck involvement rate in fatal crashes per 100 million miles traveled by large trucks increased six percent from 1.48 to 1.56, the number of large trucks involved in injury crashes increased by five percent from 102,000 to 107,000, and the number of large trucks involved in property damage only (PDO) crashes increased by three percent from351,000 to 363,000.
The 4.455 fatal crashes involving large trucks or buses involved 4,889 large trucks or buses and resulted in 885 large truck and bus occupant fatalities. The total number of fatalities was 5,005.
The 116,000 injury crashes involving large trucks or buses involved 121,000 large trucks or buses and resulted in 170,000 persons being injured. There were another 391,000 PDO crashes involving 415,000 large trucks or buses.
The DOT also reported that there were 29,679 fatal crashes involving passenger vehicles involving 41,017 passenger vehicles and causing 23,551 passenger vehicle occupant fatalities. There were 32,519 total fatalities in these crashes.
There were 1,727,000 injury crashes involving 2,901,000 passenger vehicles. These crashes resulted in 2,548,000 people being injured.
Contact a Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you or anyone close to you sustained severe injuries in a truck accident, seek immediate medical treatment and contact The Kherkher Law Firm PLLC right away. With a commitment to hard work and persistence, The Kherkher Law Firm PLLC will be by your side the entire time and fight to help you recover every dollar that you need and deserve.
Our firm understands how overwhelming the challenges can seem after a truck accident crash. From a legal perspective, we do everything we can to help make your life easier while you concentrate on recuperating from the ordeal. Let us provide a complete evaluation of your case, including your legal rights and options. Call 713-244-6363 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.